test test test
As August approaches, you may be looking to squeeze in those last few day trips in the remaining weeks of summer vacation.
Before you resort to your usual destinations, branch out and look into these 3 little known Metro Detroit gems you may have missed
- The Outdoor Adventure Center (Detroit) – Let your family discover the beauty of the outdoors inside this breathtaking building. The Outdoor Adventure Center gives visitors a taste of the northern Michigan experience with hands-on learning activities and simulators. Whether you want to hike, fish, or simply learn more about the DNR, the OAC is worth a closer look.
- Star Jaycee Park (Royal Oak) – Even smaller parks in the Metro Detroit area are filled with unique treasures. The miniature trains of Star Jaycee Park are sure to catch your eye, especially if you have little ones. These trains are not just for show; you and your child can ride these little steamers for a small donation of your choice. Be sure to check the train schedule before planning your trip.
- Gabriel Richard Park – Enjoy the fresh air with a visit to one of the best parks along Detroit’s river front. Gabriel Richard Park will help you and your family take in the beauty within Detroit while you appreciate the plush flower and butterfly gardens. Enjoy a lunch or snack in one of the pavilions, and even plan a fishing trip. One visit to this park will remind you just how much you love Metro Detroit.
Already visited one of these spots? Share your experience with other parents on our Facebook page.
After much consideration, you’ve decided that you want your child to attend a charter school in the metro Detroit area. Now comes the hard part; choosing which charter school will best meet your child’s needs.
All Charter School are not Created Equal
There are many advantages that charter schools have over public school options. Still, each charter school is different and will vary greatly in what they can offer to your child. Take the time to look at reviews of the charter schools based in metro Detroit to see what other parents are saying. Social media is a wonderful resource to also provide you with insight from current students of the school.
What to Look For
Ultimately, you are the only one who knows the needs of your child and your family. Are you looking for a curriculum change? Was your child being bullied at their last school? Really think about why you want your child to attend a charter school and make sure the schools you are looking at match those values.
Some other things you will want to consider are:
- Graduation rate
- College acceptance rate
- Technology available to students
- Special learning programs offered
- Extracurricular activities offered
Your child’s learning environment plays a large role in their academic success. Always take the opportunity to visit each location for yourself and never be afraid to ask questions. No matter what metro Detroit charter school you select for your child, be sure that it is the best fit for you and your child.
If your child is not heading into their junior or senior year, visiting colleges this summer may be the last thing on your to-do list. Yet, visiting colleges early can be incredibly beneficial for parents and students. How so?
Get a feel for the Campus
No matter how great of a program a school has or how well regarded it is, if your child does not like the campus or feel comfortable there, it will not be a good fit. Many students know what schools they would like to attend as early as middle school, but they may only know what they have read or heard about them. Taking them to visit each contender as early as possible will allow them to narrow down their selection and have a clear goal in mind. As a parent, you will also feel more comfortable in their selection after experiencing the campus with them.
Receive Guidance First Hand
Is your child interested in certain programs offered by a college? Planning a visit can give them the opportunity to speak with someone in that program and ask any questions they may have. Maybe there are classes they can take at the high school level that will help them in their undergraduate. They may also receive advice on places where they can gain experience prior to college. An in person will offer you and your child perspective that simply can’t be gained from a brochure or website.
Every student attending Summit Academy knows that it is never too early to be college ready. Make the most of your summer and start planning trips with your child to their dream college.
It may be tempting to toss all books aside during summer break, but your child’s reading habits should not take a vacation. Before that novel gets traded for a beach ball, take a look at these 5 reasons to hit the books this summer.
- Reading will improve vocabulary and comprehension. – Kids learn new words and concepts through reading. No matter what grade your child is headed towards, building their vocabulary and reading comprehension skills will greatly benefit them.
- It will keep their minds working. – Many students fall into a slump over the summer and they may not receive the same mental stimulation they receive during the school year. Reading with them each day over the summer is a great way to get them thinking and to put their imagination to use.
- Their communication skills will improve. – Good readers become good communicators. A pattern of regular reading this summer is sure to help your child with both verbal and written communication skills in the fall.
- Libraries have awesome summer reading programs. – In addition to fantastic book lists, your local library may even have prizes for parents and kids who participate in their summer reading programs. These programs are a great way to make reading fun for your child.
- It will give them a jump start on the next year. – Summer break may be just about here, but before you know it school will be back in session. Keeping your child’s mind fresh by reading with them each day will allow them to dive into the school year without missing a beat.
Summit Academy Achieves Highest Graduation Rate Among Michigan Charters
North High School the only charter school in state’s top 50
ROMULUS, MI — Summit Academy North High School has the highest graduation rate among charter schools in Michigan, according to new state data released last week.
MLive.com parsed the data and ranked the top 50 Michigan high schools by graduation rate during the 2015-2016 school year. Summit Academy checked in at No. 17 with a graduation rate of 98.58% — nearly 20% better than the state average of 79.65%.
Summit Academy North is the only charter school in the Top 50. Additionally, it’s one of just three schools in Wayne County overall.
“This is an extraordinary accomplishment, and a testament to the culture we’ve created here,” said Leann Hedke, Superintendent of Summit Academy. “Our staff takes tremendous pride in fostering a learning environment that works for every one of our students, and prepares them for success both before and after graduation.”
If you graduate from a Summit Academy school, you’re almost certainly going to have a chance to further your education. In each of the past five years, every single Summit Academy North and Summit Academy Flat Rock graduate has been accepted into college. And last year alone, 150 students received at least one scholarship offer.
“We are universally committed to ensuring that every single one of our students not only graduates, but is accepted into college and earns a college scholarship,” said Hedke. “We have a number of programs in place to support students in these endeavors, so they have the best possible chance at reaching their respective goals.”
In addition to a nurturing and inclusive learning environment, Summit Academy’s exemplary graduation and college acceptance rates can be attributed to factors like its comprehensive STEAM curriculum, small classroom sizes, and partnerships with companies like zSpace, a 3D Lab that empowers learning through virtual reality.
To learn more about Summit Academy, contact Superintendent Leann Hedke at email@example.com.
Learning is great, it’s really cool
We love the best, we love our school
Math, science, reading, and more
Getting good grades is never a chore
We are happy to learn this is plain to see
Learning is cool for you and me
Take it to the next level, above the rest
We want to be, simply the best
The grades we get are the ones we earn
At Summit schools, we are happy to learn!!!!
Classroom etiquette- When it comes to classroom etiquette, the important thing to remember is that you can be an all-star student and set a truly great example. You can do this by making sure that you are on point, and ready to go when that bell rings. You can also do it by being a good student and great learner. Here are ten ways to have good classroom etiquette.
1. Timing- It’s important to remember that when you want to have good classroom etiquette, that you need to remember to be on time. When you are on time, it shows that you are interested, dedicated, and that you want to and are eager to learn. Be sure to remember to be on time, when it comes to having great classroom etiquette.
2. Avoid food- It’s important to remember that you need to avoid having food in the classroom, because food can be a distraction for other students. Having food in the classroom can also create a real mess as a whole. Thus, remember to avoid food in the classroom for a better learning experience and to have better classroom etiquette.
3. Avoid Soda Pop and other drinks- When you are in the classroom, you need to remember to avoid soda pop and other drinks because by doing so you can guarantee that you’ll have a better learning experience. Too much sugar and the sound of opening the soda pop cans can and does cause a real distraction. Therefore, be sure to remember to avoid soda pop and other drinks when it comes to having real classroom etiquette.
4. Listen- Remember that one of the best ways to show real classroom etiquette is to remember to listen to your teacher. Great listening skills will not only help your grades, but they will also show that you are a respectful student who truly cares about learning. Be sure to remember to listen when it comes to having good classroom etiquette.
5. Avoid gum chewing- Gum chewing is not only a distraction, but it’s also a real problem in classrooms these days. Gum can be messy and sticky, and thus it’s best to remember to avoid gum chewing in the classroom. Remember to be polite and have good classroom etiquette, by avoiding gum chewing.
6. Avoid music- If you or other students are trying to focus on doing better in school, it’s important to remember to avoid listening to music in the classroom. When you listen to music in the classroom, it’s not only a distraction, but it’s also rude and not polite. Be sure to save the music for another time, so that you can have good classroom etiquette.
7. Avoid talking out of turn- Be sure to remember that when it comes to having good classroom etiquette, that you need to remember to avoid talking out of turn. When you talk out of turn it shows little respect for those around you, and for your teacher. Remember, wait your turn, be patient, and by avoiding talking out of turn, you can have real classroom etiquette.
8. Raise your hand- One of the best ways to make sure that you can avoid having issues in the classroom, is to remember to raise your hand. Raising your hand, not only shows good classroom etiquette, but it offers the best when it comes to being an on-point, well put together great student. Be sure to raise your hand, so that you can get the best with real classroom etiquette.
9. Pay attention- One of the best ways to have great classroom etiquette is to remember to pay attention. By paying attention you can guarantee that you’ll get the best when it comes to educational benefits as well as a great learning experience. Be sure to pay attention, so that you can avoid having any issues, when it comes to your learning experience, and so that you can display true classroom etiquette.
10. Never interrupt- It’s important to remember to never interrupt the teacher when it comes to having good classroom etiquette. You may have something important to say, but remember to say it at the right time. Be sure to remember to never interrupt the teacher or other students, when it comes to having good classroom etiquette.
Quizzes and tests- When it comes to not being nervous and/or being prepared to take a quiz or a test, the important thing to remember is that you can succeed by following simple steps. Pop quizzes, we know, can be challenging, but they don’t have to be. Below are the tips for dealing with pop quizzes, regular quizzes, and tests.
1. Calm- When it comes to pop quizzes, the important thing to remember is that you need to stay calm. You need to stay calm, because by doing so you can guarantee that even if you aren’t prepared, you will have a better chance, as opposed to if you are nervous or scared. Remember, the best you can do is the best you can do, so be sure to stay calm when it comes to pop quizzes.
2. Prepared- One of the most important things to remember when it comes to taking a quiz or test is to remember to be prepared. Even if it is a pop quiz, chances are if you’ve done the homework, you can do better, when it comes to being prepared for whatever you’re going to take. Thus, be sure to remember to be prepared, so that you can get the best possible results on your test and/or quiz.
3. Comfort- Of course, one of the most important things to remember when it comes to taking a test is to remember to be comfortable. If you are uncomfortable physically when taking a test, chances are that you are not going to do well as a whole. Therefore, it’s important to remember to be comfortable, when it comes to taking your next test.
4. Avoid Cramming- When it comes to great test or quiz taking skills, it’s important to remember that you need to avoid cramming. Cramming for a test is when you put way too much studying in a short amount of time, expecting to remember it all. This can be a real problem because you won’t be able to get everything memorized correctly. Thus, be sure to avoid cramming, so that you can get the best when it comes to amazing results on your test and/or quiz.
5. Confident- It’s important to remember that with any form of test that you need to remember to walk in and take it with a real sense of confidence. By having confidence, you can guarantee that you’ll get the best when it comes to results that can and will work for you. Therefore, be sure to remember to be confident when it comes to your next test or quiz so that you can hold your head up high and get real results.
6. Relaxed- Be sure to remember to be in some state of relaxation, when it comes to taking your test or exam. Feeling relaxed can and will help when it comes to being more successful on your test or quiz. Be sure to remember to stay in somewhat of a relaxed state when it comes to real success on your test or quiz.
7. Timing- It’s very important to remember to allow yourself plenty of time when it comes to test taking. Give yourself a chance to breathe, feel better, and do better as a whole. Remember timing is everything, and you can and will succeed when you give yourself plenty of time on your test or quiz.
8. Exercise- Of course one of the best ways to avoid being nervous or anxious with your tests or quizzes is to remember to exercise before you start. Perhaps, the night before, or even two hours before the exam, you can get in a good amount of exercise. When you exercise, you can guarantee that you’ll be more relaxed, and more ready to take your test or quiz.
9. Rest- Be sure to remember that the night before the test or quiz that you need to remember to get at least 8 hours of sleep. When you get enough sleep, you can guarantee that you’ll get the best when it comes to being successful with your test or quiz. Thus, be sure to remember to get adequate rest when it comes to being successful with your test or quiz.
10. Options- If your anxiety or nervousness gets too bad then you need to remember to weigh out your options, when it comes to taking a test or quiz. Be sure to remember to talk to a teacher or counselor if you need extended time, and remember to reach out, because you can and do have options. Remember to take advantage of those options, to get the best possible results on your test or quiz.
We truly love to learn this is plain to see
We want to be the best, rise above a C
We know we are worth it, we are true
We will do our best through and through
To never give up, and give it our all
We always do our best to stand tall
At Summit we know that learning is great
Homework on time, and never late
So here we are, we will win the race
Good grades, great times, Summit is a feel good place